Sunday, February 24, 20139:30 pm
- In person
Works by Fujikura, Gervais, Griffin, McKinley and Staniland.
Are contemporary music and serious mutually exclusive? Over-the-top ensemble Toca Loca proves exactly the opposite with uncommonly playful instrumental works where pianos and percussions flirt with video games, movies, poetry and electronics. Juxtaposing onscreen battles with a sensual duet for amorous pianists, by way of Made in China’s resounding cry of revolt and going even further, courtly poetry infused with electronics, the trio’s musicians and their guests bring us an evening that’s both light-hearted and chaotic. An initiative of composer Maxime McKinley within the framework of his residency at the Chapelle historique du Bon-Pasteur.
- Quatre miroirs-loukoum (2003), 14:00soprano, percussion and processing
- Half-Remembered City (2002), 10:00four-hand piano
- Eagle Claw Wu Tsiao Chen Wins (2009), 16:00percussion and video
- Made in China (2008), 5:00tenor, percussion and piano
- Halo Ballet (2010-11), 12:00piano, MIDI keyboard, percussion, harp (or guitar) and manipulators (video game Halo)
Coproduction Chapelle historique du Bon-Pasteur / Ensemble Toca Loca, in collaboration with MNM