Thursday, January 21, 20168:00 pm
Works by Koch, Macnab-Séguin and Rea.
With their customary bravado, the Quasar musicians venture into the performance of three new works. Included are John Rea’s Fantaisies et allusions, for 4 saxophones and snare drum, and Capra che suona, for 10 saxophones. An evening centred on the sax and the instrument’s contrasts — at times solo, in quartets, or ensembles — oscillating between extreme virtuosity and slower contemplative evolutions.
- Saxophonia 1 (1990), 10:44saxophone quartet
- Fantaisies and/et Allusions (1969), 12:00saxophone quartet and snare drum (optional)Quasar (Marie-Chantal Leclair; Mathieu Leclair; André Leroux; Jean-Marc Bouchard); Corinne René, snare drum
- Atemholen (Take a breath) (2014)Premieresaxophone quartet
- La capra che suona (1985), 8:0010 saxophonesQuasar (Marie-Chantal Leclair; Mathieu Leclair; André Leroux; Jean-Marc Bouchard); Carolyn Barr, Louis-Philippe Bonin, Tommy Davis, Geneviève D’Ortun, Mathieu Gaulin, Ida Toninato, saxophones; Guillaume Bourgogne, conductor
- Quatuor de saxophones (2014)Premieresaxophone quartet