Thursday, April 21, 20167:00 pm
- In person
Works by Antheil, Bernstein, Lehrman, Rea and Stravinsky.
Jazz will be front and centre with a program recalling the mythic concerts at Carnegie Hall! A unique opportunity to discover contemporary works tinged with this brilliant musical style. On stage, the musicians of the SMCQ Ensemble immerse you in an epic taking them through the 20th century seen through the prism of jazz. From Igor Stravinsky to Leonard Bernstein, via George Antheil and John Rea, the program’s composers are renowned for their audacious propensity for crossing over from one style to another. As is true for all cosmopolitan geniuses ahead of their time.
- Ballet Mécanique (1924, 53), 17:00Orch. Paul D Lehrman, 2000piano, video and 8-channel fixed mediumWith screening of the film Ballet Mécanique by Dudley Murphy and Fernand LégerOriginal work: Ballet Mécanique
- Big Apple Jam (1987-91), 11:00PremiereArr. John Rea, 2016saxophone quartet and big bandOriginal work: Big Apple Jam
- Treppenmusik (1982), 15:00string quartet, saxophone quartet, E-flat clarinet (
B-flat clarinet), 2 bass clarinets and delay
- Ebony Concerto (1945), 9:00clarinet and big band
- Prelude, Fugue and Riffs (1949), 8:00clarinet and big band