Friday, March 1, 20139:00 pm
- In person
Olivier Maranda and Vincent Ranallo perform works by Dufour-Laperrière and Xenakis.
Véronique Lacroix, artistic direction; Alice Ronfard, staging.
A shocking evening! ECM+ reprises a successful program of four works by Xenakis, in all their instrumental, vocal, electroacoustic and graphic glory. Through the torn backdrop of Mycène Alpha projected on a large screen, comes the extreme performance of brilliant percussionist Olivier Maranda, proposing new interpretive techniques for “unplayable” renowned works. Baritone Vincent Ranallo joins him for Kassandra, a duet that’s a genuine rarity, embodying the frenzied hallucinating priestess. Totally in contrast, the duet concludes with Gabriel Dufour-Laperrière’s Peindre le cri “which investigates the human soul in sounds to be divined, to be imagined” (A Ronfard).
Vincent Ranallo, baritone
Olivier Maranda, percussion
- Rebonds (1987-88), 8:00skins, woodblocks
- Mycenae Alpha (1978), 9:38stereo fixed medium and projection
- Psappha (1975), 13:00percussion
- Kassandra (1987), 20:00baritone (playing on a 20-string psaltery) and percussion
- Peindre le cri (2012)baritone, percussion and system
Coproduction MNM / ECM+