Thursday, November 10, 20168:00 pm
- In person
Works by Garant and Stockhausen.
The SMCQ revives a major work from one of its founders and directors Serge Garant. The texts from his love song are taken from age-old sources words (Petrarch, Shakespeare, Ronsard) from definitions of the word “love” taken from French, English and Spanish dictionaries, from modern graffiti and… “classified ads!” The renowned Quebec composer will be accompanied by one of Karlheinz Stockhausen’s works, whose piece Kontakte marked a significant stage in contemporary music by using percussion coupled with the electronics for the first time.
This concert is dedicated to the memory of Serge Garant and Marcel Barbeau.
The concert will be preceded by…
- an exhibition of Marcel Barbeau’s works, inspired by K. Stockhausen (6 pm)
- a round-table discussion concerning Serge Garant (7 pm) with:
- Marie-Thérèse Lefebvre, musicologist, historian and professor
- Paul Bazin, musicologist and author
- Jean Boivin, musicologist and professor
Jacques Drouin, piano
Olivier Maranda, percussion
Claude Lamothe, cello
Marianne Lambert, soprano
Marie-Annick Béliveau, mezzo-soprano
Vincent Ranallo, baritone
Walter Boudreau, conductor
- Kontakte, Nr 12 1/2 [mixed version] (1958-60), 35:00piano, percussion and 4-channel fixed medium
- … chant d’amours (1975), 28:00soprano, mezzo-soprano, baritone, cello, 2 horns, 3 trumpets, 3 trombones, 2 harps, 2 percussions and fixed medium
A Société de musique contemporaine du Québec (SMCQ) production.