Thursday, May 21, 202020h00
- In person
Works by Breault and Makdissi-Warren.
The “Dialogues” program assembles a range of chamber music works for the flute, resulting from several collaborations between composer Katia Makdissi-Warren and flutist Marie-Hélène Breault. Navigating between written and improvised music, this program leads the listener into a complex and mysterious soundscape, where the modern flute is imbued with the shadings and melismas of the nay (reed flute played in Arab, Turkish and Persian music) and the subdued tones of the traverso (wooden baroque flute with a key). In the manner of musical discussions between the performers, the works stand out for their ample lyric spirit, meditative character and rhythmic dynamism, in keeping with many aspects of the composer’s art with its original and unconventional background, marked by the skilful blending of Western and Eastern influences.
- Dialogue du silence (2003), 6:45flute
- Ô Virtus (2018), 6:00mezzo-soprano, flute, piano and percussion
- Jetstream (2007), 9:04flute and marimba
- Chants du prophète (2012)Excerptflute, mezzo-soprano, piano and percussion
- Croisements (2018), 7:13Premiere4 flutes
- Dialogue de l’écho (2003), 8:00Premiere4 flutes
Featuring works by Katia Makdissi-Warren.
Coproduction Marie-Hélène Breault, Oktoécho