Thursday, February 18, 20217:30 pm
- Online event
Wednesday, March 3 – Sunday, August 15, 2021
- Online event
Works by Armanini, Nurulla-Khoja, Oliver, Samandari, Ueda and Vivier.
The United Nations of Music! The opening night sets the festival’s tone with the Vancouver Inter-Cultural Orchestra, one of the few orchestras in the world that assembles so many different communities. On the program: five works reflecting many journeys where compositions, musicians and instruments invite us to move to the rhythm of this Western Canadian cosmopolitan city. Immersing us in new shades of contemporary music, between East and West, this opening night represents… openness, reminding us that music knows no borders.
- Gypsy Chronicles (2010), 18:00flute, oboe, clarinet, bass clarinet, erhu, zheng, oud, tablas, darbouka, percussion, keyboard, santur, tar, 2 violins, viola, cello and double bass
- Suite concertante — À cette époque-là (2018), 18:00flute, oboe, clarinet, bass clarinet, zheng, oud, kamânche, darbouka, percussion, tombak, daf, santur, setar, violin, viola, cello and double bass
- Pareidolia (2021), 10:00Premieresheng, flute, B-flat clarinet, santur, 2 tars, percussion, erhu, viola and double bass
- As the first spring blossoms awaken through the snow (2020), 10:00Premieresheng, flute, clarinet, santur, setar, oud, percussion, erhu, viola and double bass
- Pulau Dewata (1977), 13:00oboe, suona, sanxian, santur, 2 tars, 2 vibraphones, 2 erhus, viola and double bass
Coproduction MNM / Vancouver Inter-Cultural Orchestra